(NAPSI)—While for many, it’s not the holidays without sweet
One medium (4-oz. cooked) California sweet potato has only 105 calories and 0g fat or cholesterol, yet this tasty tuber contains more than 80 nutrients including:
• 2 grams of protein
• vitamin C (a good source)
• vitamin A (more than an entire day’s requirement)
Perhaps even better,
Here are some more great ways to enjoy
• For a simple sheet pan supper, toss diced sweet potatoes, halved Brussels sprouts, and diced red onion with olive oil, chopped fresh rosemary, salt and pepper and arrange on a sheet pan. Top with seasoned chicken thighs and roast until cooked through. Serve with a simple salad.
• Try a sweet potato pizza or tart. Top store-bought pizza dough or
puff pastry with fontina, roasted
• How about pasta? While cooking store-bought tortellini according
to package directions, sauté cubed
• For an after-school snack, cut
For a truly tempting treat, try California Sweet Potato Toast Bites. Here, they’re topped with figs, blue cheese, flaked salt and honey—making them excellent for a snack, appetizer or elegant dessert.
12 crosswise slices
2 ounces good-quality blue cheese (about ¼ cup packed)
3 dried figs, stemmed and quartered
12 small rosemary sprigs
About 1 teaspoon flaked sea salt
About ½ teaspoon pepper
About 1 tablespoon honey
Cook the sweet potato slices in your toaster oven as you would small slices of bread, using the most well-done setting, until tender (you might have to do this in batches, and each batch might have to cook two times). Set aside to cool to room temperature. Top each sweet potato slice with 1 teaspoon of blue cheese, 1 fig quarter and a rosemary sprig, arranging them on plates or a platter. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper, then drizzle with the honey and serve.
Note: If you don’t have a toaster oven, use three or four lengthwise slices of sweet potato and cook them in your toaster using the most well-done setting (you might have to do this two times). Then cut each toasted slice into three or four pieces to make 12 smaller toasts.
For other recipe ideas and further information about
Treat your family and friends to savory, tasty Sweet Potato Toast Bites.
Word Count: 589