|(NAPSI)-It's the most wonderful time of the year, but for many, the holiday season can also be stressful. From holiday parties and endless shopping, to travel and family visits, your holiday to-do list can quickly become overwhelming, and instead of feeling the holiday cheer, you are wishing for the season to be over. |
Before getting overwhelmed, take a step back and remember that the holidays are a time to enjoy and appreciate everything you have and spend time with those most important to you.
To help you keep the stress at bay and stay in the holiday spirit, SilverSneakers offers the following tips:
1. Smile More: The simple act of smiling can help reduce stress and make you happier. Even if it's forced, the next time you feel stressed, pause, take a deep breath and smile.
2. Get Moving: Exercise is a great way to relieve stress. Take 30 minutes for yourself every day to get up and move. Not only does exercise give you more energy and improve your mood, it also gives you a nice break from your holiday to-do list, helping you focus on life's biggest gift-your health.
3. Make a List: Sometimes, the best way to de-stress is to jot down your thoughts on a piece of paper. Sorting out all that you have in your mind into a to-do or shopping list can help clear up some head space. Even writing down a few thoughts that are circling in your mind can help you de-stress.
4. Be a Good Neighbor: Not everyone has family close by for the holidays and they can often feel lonely and isolated. Seek out a neighbor or friend for a festive visit, and boost their health and happiness-and yours-with great company and conversation.
5. Have Fun: Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself! Give yourself permission to forget about all the tasks at hand and live in the moment. Spending time with friends, family and loved ones is what the season is all about.
SilverSneakers is the nation's leading community fitness program. For more than 25 years, the program has been helping older adults live their best life by engaging participants in physical activity, as well as fostering new friendships with a welcoming member community. To see if you are eligible or to find a class in your area, visit www.SilverSneakers.com.
Exercise can be a great way to improve your mood.